CCD’s Personal Support Workers provide the necessary supports to ensure the client’s care and safety as they transition from hospital to home.
Community Care Durham’s (CCD) Home at Last (HAL) service supports adults who require assistance to settle back at home after a hospital stay.
We can help!
Will operate only on Mondays and Fridays from December 4, 2023 to March 31, 2024.
What is included in the HAL service?
The HAL service may include:
- Driving/accompanying the client home or being at their residence when they arrive home.
- Picking up medications and/or groceries to support their recovery.
- Preparing a small meal on the day of their return.
- Providing personal care and/or homemaking services on the day of their return.
Follow-up is an important component of the HAL service:
- The client will also receive a follow-up call within a week of being settled back home.
- Visits are arranged to check on their well-being if needed
- The HAL service will also make referrals to other beneficial community support services.
There is no fee for this service. This service is available to Durham residents being discharged from any hospital within the Greater Toronto Area.
Who is eligible for the HAL service?
This service is available to clients who are:
- Aging, frail or have special needs.
- Require additional settlement support after discharge from hospital.
How Can I register for the Home at Last service?
To register for the the Home at Last service, please call 1-888-255-6680 or complete the online referral form found at Request Service.
CCD’s Home at Last team can connect clients with the other integrated community support services offered by Community Care Durham and our partners to support people to live independently in their own homes.
- If you would like to receive more information about CCD services, please call us at 1-888-255-6680 or contact a Community Care Durham office nearest you.
- To download a Home at Last flyer, please click on the link below:
The PSW was wonderful in settling me back home after my hospital stay. I was very pleased with the care and I especially appreciated that the PSW helped me tidy up my apartment. It has made a positive difference in my outlook.
Family member of HAL client
Our family is so grateful for the support of the PSWs on the HAL team and the care and compassion they have shown to our mother. They have always been there, throughout all her surgeries, to encourage her to carry on. There are times where I’m not sure how my mother would have managed her appointments and outcomes, if not for this team. This amazing team of caring and dedicated service providers go over and above to extend their expertise to the most vulnerable segment of our society.
I was feeling very overwhelmed after my hospital stay and didn’t know what to do when I returned home. I have some challenges with reading and writing. The Home at Last PSW helped me go through the messages that were on my answering machine and confirm all of my follow up appointments. Now I feel less vulnerable and better supported. I don’t know what I would have done without her.